Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Baseball, Family, and Summer

Ah........... the boys of summer, America's past time, BASEBALL!!!!!!!!!

There is something unique about spending an entire week sitting on a hard bleacher, eating sunflower seeds, and watching your body sizzle from the burning sun, that drives us to say "we love our baseball"..... but we do - day in day out - baseball consumes our lives for over 160 games.
But............ the best game in town is NOT the gazillion dollar paid "pros" . It is the essence of baseball, that vulnerable age where there is no real ego, no "absolute" need to win, no pressure from the parents that drives the kid to early ulcers of stress. The best baseball is in the 13 and younger league. It is the true baseball, pure as it was intended.
Ok - I realize that there are always going to be the overzealous parent who freaks out if their kid doesn't play, or doesn't get the winning out. But what I really mean is the ambiance that is summer baseball.
Heat,
Kids, Baseballs,
parents cheering,
and kids who just love what they are doing.
So why the waxing nostalgia???
I had one the of the best weeks of my life 2 weeks ago when my brother and nephew , Mason, came to Tulsa for the National World Series for the 13 year olds............. Super Series.


Not only did I get to see my brother - who we only get to see about twice a year - we got to watch Mason play ball. We (my sister and I ) were there, morning - 8:00am games, and there at night (10:45pm) when that game started. We were there Sunday through Friday morning................ we were there, cheering, sweating.
There is a peace, a smile that comes over the face when you step out of the scene and just look around and watch the innocence of the world in those kids.

Will any of them go on to the Pros??? don't really know. But what I do know is that there was a lot of love on this team, between the players, the parents, and especially for two Aunts that were just happy to be there.

No comments: