Monday, June 16, 2008

ROME AT NIGHT

This year marks my 4th trip to Europe with students and parents. It is also my 4th trip to Rome and while many of you dream of someday going to Rome, I was concerned that something so beautiful and historic might simply become “just another ruin”. So I prayed that I might find something “new” something that would peak my interest and believe me I found it. ROME AT NIGHT………… We live in a world that although we see in dimensions, is often so routine that we forget to really look at life in a different perspective. As I said I have seen Rome from really just one perspective, the daylight when all the imperfections, age, and rush of the city can be seen. So to see it at night, with the lights flooding the area to enhance the shadows, the beauty of the architects design was a great find. Our tour guide Arnaldo decided on the tour as a last minute event. We had to get permission from the bus company, had to authorize our driver to get overtime, (and to use the extra fuel) and each of us had to put in 15 Euros (about $25.00) and agree to a very late 3 hour trip. But when would we ever get another chance to see Rome at night.
Our driver Dino was fantastic. He risked life and limb (ok – bus and tickets) to drive as slowly as he could around all the landmarks – the occasional honk from an irate Italian would spur us to move on – but there were a few times when I felt the bus “pause” long enough for us to try to take some pictures. We also saw places that were not on the regular tour – like the Presidents residence etc. I have included in this blog the two views of several of the sights I hope that you will take some time and look at the “Day and Night” views. More blogs about our trip are coming so stay tuned.
IF YOU CLICK ON A PICTURE IT GOES FULL SCREEN SO YOU CAN SEE IT BETTER.







St. Peter's Basilica




T

Trevi Fountain







The Colosseum

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what beautiful pictures!!! and wonderful stories. I would love to go with you someday...just do not know when. Thanks for sharing.

Karen Teel