Thursday, July 4, 2013

a second look at "The Sound of Freedom"


"What is the Sound of Freedom"

Several years ago I had a young man, ask me what the sound of freedom was; since he was simply using the question to disrupt the class I simply ignored it and went on with the day’s lesson. But since today is America's Birthday I thought I might re-post some thoughts I had on "What is the Sound of Freedom".


Memories: we all have that special smell that can bring back volumes of memories of warm summer days and fresh watermelon, or the warmth in our hearts when we smell the turkey coming out of the oven on Thanksgiving Day. Those are tangible memories ones that come back easily or can be felt or touched but how do you define the “sound of freedom”??? Some of you may raise your hands and say “The liberty bell” or “The Star Bangle Banner” and the list can go on and on of sounds you have heard from childhood that to you represented the freedoms we all enjoy …….but what is the sound of freedom?

I narrowed my list down to two: The opening of a textbook – symbolizes the sound of our freedom through education. Try listening to 30 textbooks opening all at once to study today’s lesson. The book sees no difference in your sex, color, economics, religion or lifestyle – it is freedom that brings insight. I thank God for the freedom to hear the sounds of education that so many have fought and died for, and which other countries so deny to their people.

My second sound may cause you to stop and think I hope it does. As most of you know I grew up Air Force. To some that may not mean much given that you stayed home while your parent served but for our family we went where ever dad was stationed. I bring that up because military life even for the children was completely different than for those of you growing up non-military. And for the most part the differences we minor – I grew up “on base” you grew up in a neighborhood, I went to a school “on base” you went to public schools.

So where is the “sound” difference?? Movie theaters……….yes I said movie theaters. I know some of you are saying “well she finally lost it” but hold on…

In the military, when you went to a movie, there were rules that had to be followed and here is where the “sound” comes in. At the beginning of every movie they played our national anthem – all they had to play was the first two notes of that song and every man in that theater SNAPPED TO ATTENTION – seatbacks snapped up and……….. you have no idea how “freedom” sounds until you hear over 200 military combat boots snap together. The sound is almost deafening. There is a ……it is so hard to describe – the feeling rumbles in your heart it is so strong and it implants itself into your whole body that these men, these boots are there to protect, defend and to secure your freedoms. It has been almost 45 years since I heard that sound – I can still hear it and it brings a smile to my face and warmth to my heart. I wish each of you could experience that feeling. Today there is a small sound that echoes when you see a military parade, or when a young man is given a metal, and yes………the sound of the quiet tap when they lay another soldier to rest. I hope each of you has a “sound of freedom:” because remember in some countries the people are deaf.

God bless our men in the military, God bless our country, and by far God bless the “sound of freedom” today and always.

No comments: