Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Europe Trip 2009 Part 2

Art – or
why I ended up in Marching Band

As you may note in my previous blog I had two loves in my life – created by two trauma’s – first it was the popsicle stick (architecture) and today I will talk about art, primary colors, ships and the clarinet.

I loved drawing – ok not so much drawing as coloring (yes within the lines) highlighting, shading sometimes adding my own personal touch. But no matter how hard I tried at freestyle art, it always just looked like a mush of colors. Again there was no connection created in the womb between the art that the eye sees and the hands…………. Alas……….. I was doomed to love and not touch. So how does this relate to today. Well it all started in 9th grade (when it was still part of Junior high) .. You see I decided my 9th grade year that instead of playing the clarinet (poorly) I would take art instead. After 2 weeks of introduction from the teacher he gave us free reign to draw anything we wanted. So I used the bold primary colors and drew a ship with masts and water with waves. I was proud!! Then he came over to look at it – and I will never ever forget his word- “Debra you played in the band didn’t you?? You might want to consider going back to band”. OMG how traumatic. So the next Monday mom and I went into the office, and by last period there I was sitting 3rd seat, 3rd row clarinet.
We did not see a lot of art this trip – So I will throw in a few pictures that I have loved over the years.
Stay tuned for next blog = D-Day 65 years later

No comments: